Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Savory Crepes


Savory Crepes
from Emeril Lagasse (slightly adapted) the sauce only

4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened into a pale blond roux, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the hot stock in a steady stream, whisking to incorporate. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently with a heavy wooden spoon until thick. Add 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper, and stir to incorporate. Slowly whisk in the cream and simmer, stirring, until well incorporated and thickened. Remove from the heat.

I used this recipe for the crepes.

{cooks note}

Sunday evening, my boys wanted crepes.  Anytime there are strawberries in the house, they beg for crepes.  For a while, I have wanted to try out a new recipe for a crepe filling.  My favorite is fresh strawberries with whipping cream.  I have tried different fruit variations, but always find myself going back to the strawberries.  I searched for a savory recipe and found a sauce I liked, so I went for it.  I gathered all of the miscellaneous ingredients I had in my fridge and it was a success.  Here is what I used for the filling.  Sweet peppers, prosciutto, bacon, ham, cherry tomatoes, Gruyere cheese, Parmesan cheese and cheddar cheese.  Any type of filling similar to this would work, these are just the ingredients I already had in my fridge.  I sauteed the peppers first and then added the three meats.  Once they were cooked, I assembled the crepes and added the tomatoes, cheeses and the sauce.  I also poured a little sauce over the top.  The sauce was so good and added the perfect touch to the crepes.   We saved the fresh strawberries and leftover crepes for our dessert.  I'm loving that strawberries are in season again.  I'm not loving that my little family can go through $14 worth in three days!

{The picture quality on these is not that great.  I didn't have time to adjust my settings.}

No comments: