Thursday, September 26, 2013

Quinoa, Black Bean and Corn Tacos



I have been wanting to try these tacos out for a really long time now and have put them on the menu for a couple of weeks, but by the time I went to make them, I was out of a few of the ingredients.  I finally made them on Monday, and they were a huge hit.  Every one of my children loved them and even had seconds!  This meal is incredibly healthy and so satisfying.  The quinoa needs to be thoroughly rinsed before cooking; otherwise, it might have a really bitter taste to it.  I cooked mine in chicken broth to help add some flavor.  I cooked 2 cups quinoa in 4 cups of chicken broth.  Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  Make it a few hours or days ahead of time, so it is cooled by the time you need to use it.  I wasn't sure how many tacos this would make, so I made 1 1/2 times the recipe.  It made more than enough.  I bought fresh corn tortillas at the tortilla factory that we used the same day, and the next day for lunch we had it with flour tortillas.  I like it with both, but is much easier for kids to eat if you use flour.   If you use corn, I recommend heating them up on a skillet to somewhat harden the shell (not crunchy).  That way, they don't become soft and the tacos filling doesn't fall through the tortilla.  I also added diced radishes because I love the flavor they add.  Enjoy!


Quinoa, Black Bean and Corn Tacos
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
  • 1 (14.5) oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis, undrained
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
  • 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
  • Serve with:
  • corn or wheat tortillas
  • chopped lettuce
  • Monterey Jack, cheddar or a combination
  • diced avocados
  • diced tomatoes
  • hot sauce
  • diced radishes
Directions
  • Heat olive oil in a large non-stick saucepan over medium high heat. Once hot, add onion and saute until golden and tender, about 3 minutes. Add in garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Stir in broth, diced tomatoes, cooked quinoa, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, coriander and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover saucepan with lid and simmer about 20 minutes, until mixture has thickened.
  • Stir in corn and black beans and simmer, uncovered 5 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in lime juice and cilantro. Serve warm over tortillas with desired toppings.
Source:  Cooking Classy (adapted slightly)

**I know you can barely see any of the filling in the tacos.  I got carried away with the lettuce and other toppings and didn't care by that point because my baby was crying in the background begging to be fed.  

No comments: